Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Problem and Solution: Saving Money


Problem: I'm in a bad habit of spending.. and need to get in the habit of saving money (for vacation, christmas, birthdays, a new computer, etc.)

Solution: Envelopes. That's not the whole solution.. but a big part of it. :) Here's what I do. I take a certain amount out of my paycheck every week (ok.. I actually use my paychecks from my millions four part time jobs.. but if I only had one full time job, I'd take a certain amount out).  I have envelopes labeled for different things I'm saving for: 
1. Emergency fund (in case something big would happen)
2. A new computer 
3. A house
4. Vacation
5. Christmas
6. A Car emergency (or just car maintenance, because you never know when you'll get into a car accident, or your engine goes)

And I divide up my money into each category. Some (like christmas) only get about  5$ a week, because I only spend about $250.00 during christmas time. Some get a little more. It's a great way to save money.. and if you put your envelopes in your safe, you'll never touch it. I started saving last May for a vacation, and we'll be on our way to San Fransisco soon. And I'm not worried about finding the money in our budget :)

Envelopes... a great bank <3

No comments:

Post a Comment