Friday, February 3, 2012

Rocket Ship Room

This fun Friday, I thought that I'd show you Killian's new rocket ship/space room. It's super cute and was pretty easy to make.. 
I took the Dinosaur quilt off of his green quilt. (With stitch remover it only took me about 10-15 min.) He was VERY sad, and now uses the little toddler quilt as a blankie.
But I sewed a rocket ship from 3 pieces of fabric I purchased. Very quick and easy. This time around , I didn't use pins or iron-on adhesive. I simply zig-zag stitched around. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it turned out :)
Here's a close up of the rocket ship:
 After everything was sewn on, I used 3-d fabric paint to write his name.
 I cut out the letters for BLAST OFF, and again just sewed them on. I knew I didn't care if they weren't perfectly straight, because blasting off is messy (or so I assume). Finally, I made a planet and sewed it on. It took me about 1.5 hours total between cutting and sewing. 

I'm planning on a rocket shaped pillow, but that's a future project.

I bought  these big letters from Hobby Lobby for 1.50 each. I also got some green ribbon. I drilled 2 holes in each letter with my drill. Then painted them with acrylic paint. I strung the ribbon threw, nailed nails to the wall, and hung them up!

 For the curtains, I found a curtain at goodwill for 2.99. It was very large, so I cut it in half, hemmed it, and tied each side off with blue ribbon. The wall stickers were bought off of Amazon, along with the hanging planets. I also got glow in the dark star stickers off of Amazon.
These little hanging robots/planets were bought on clearance at a local store. They're eeboo in case you like them. The moon I got on clearance at Walmart after Christmas. 

Finally, the picture. This was bought half off at Hobby Lobby. It was the most expensive purchase of the room ($35.00), but I knew that it'd cost me that much in time to paint it myself. 

OHHH yes.... the hat hangers. I bought the wooden background at hobby lobby- 1.50 each. Then I bought a packet of wooden knobs. I painted the knobs, and screwed them into the astronauts/planets. 

The whole room probably cost about $75.00! Very nice for a rocket ship room that my little man loves!!!

And, the cutest thing of all.... Killian was a planet for halloween- Jupiter to be exact. I made his costume:

I LOVE reusing things... so now it's a beanbag chair in his room :) Super cute- fits the theme, and has a purpose :) And Killian told me that it's very comfy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment