Monday, January 30, 2012

Upcycled and Embellished Airplane Shirts

This week I have 2 more airplane shirts for any little airplane-loving boy (or girl) out there!



The first one is up- cycled. I have gotten tons of clothes from my aunt, as well as clothes from craigslist and rummage sales. They are perfect for up-cycling or embellishing. For this one, I decided to take a long-sleeve striped TURTLE NECK (come on, they just aren't in fashion anymore) and a plain gray short-sleeve shirt (nothing special) to make a very cute, unique layered long sleeve T.

Here's how it went down:

First, I took the t-shirt and used freezer paper to iron on an airplane stencil. (I hand-drew the airplane, but you could find a clipart picture on line if you'd like). It was super simple to paint blue.

**Please excuse the fact that you can see the white lines in this picture. I forgot to take one without them. :(


Once that dried, I used the bleach pen to draw the lines to the airplane. I put it on pretty thick, and it soaked through. Know that it spreads, so your lines won't be perfect (but hey, that's the fun!)

I let it dry for about 1 hour. I kept checking to see when it was white enough for me. **Side note- put newspaper under the top before you do this, or it'll leak through to the back of the shirt as well!***

After it was bleached the way I wanted, I washed the bleach off and let the shirt dry.
The final step was to cut the arms off of the turtle neck. I measured the shirts (put one on top of the other) and cut off the sleeves so it was about 1 in. longer than I wanted. That's for sewing.





With my sewing machine, I simply sewed the sleeves into place. It took about 15 min. for the two sleeves!


And TAH-DA!! An adorable airplane shirt that cost about 4.00 to make, and my son LOVES it. 
In fact, I only put it on him for the photo shoot- He'd never worn it before, and he wouldn't take it off! He decided that he liked it that much. :) Luckily it happened to match his pants for the day. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second shirt wasn't up-cycled. It was embellished.  I actually bought this shirt from Old Navy- Just plain blue polo. 

But I had a vision!

I used freezer paper to paint on the airplanes:


After they were dry, I again used the bleach pen to add lines:
As you can see, I also painted on white on each airplane with fabric paint and a paint brush. Using a black fabric marker, I outlined each section as well. Finally, I sewed on buttons. 
Killian has yet to try this one on.. so I don't have any pictures yet. But I'll put one up as soon as he does.
And that's all for today- two different airplane shirts with a little work and creativity. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment