Sunday, November 13, 2011

K's Dinosaur Room

I figured it'd be helpful to anyone thinking of decorating in dinosaur theme, but can't stomach (or afford) the cost of buying everything... I made most of his decorations (except for the wall stickers) and it all turned out pretty cool (If I do say so myself) :) So here it is:
 I started off doing small steps. So as you can see, there are still some winnie the pooh decorations in these first couple of pictures... but I started by getting wall stickers from Shopko.
 Then I started putting chalkboard up- this was super easy... I bought a huge roll of black contact paper from amazon.com and put that up (ok that part isn't easy.. if you have 2 people to put the contact paper up it might go smoother), but it's easier than painting chalkboard- and cheaper too.

 Just a picture what the chalk on the contact paper.

 Here you can see a whole wall with the black.
 I sewed a small pillow or his rocking chair in the colors of his new room.
 I got these adorable wall art alphabet sheets and I put them all around his room. These are how he learned his alphabet
 For his 2 year old pictures, I had  his photographer take pictures of him with his green Rex stuffed animal- then I framed those. I kept his name that I painted, because the colors still matched. If you look closely, you'll see a lamp that's brown and green . I bought a lamp at goodwill and spray painted it the new colors of his room. I was going to put dinosaurs on his lamp shade, but I decided against it at the time... though now that I think about it- that might be my new project :)
 I sewed curtains- This was for 2 reasons. #1- I couldn't find any that I liked and were in my price range #2- I needed room darkening ones because his room gets so light in the morning. So I sewed these with felt material on the back and it really works!
 It says Killian's playland
 I also made a valance. To get he letters and dinosaurs on there, I cut them out, then ironed on iron-on adhesive so they stuck to the valance. Then I sewed zig-zag around them.
I slowly kept buying the wall stickers- putting them up

This was when he was getting a big boy bed..

I put his dresser in the closet and just kept the hamper out

Book shelf area... of course it's rearranged now and I repainted the bookshelf to match the dino room (watch for another post)

The quilt: I made the dino-quilt for his toddler bed. Then when he switched to a big bed, I bought a quilt from target for 25$ and sewed the dino quilt on top. 

I says Killian with 3 different dinosaurs on it.

OH! These were SOOOO simple. I bought these dinosaurs at hobby lobby for 1$ or .50 each, then I bought a pack of 4 knobs, painted them, glued them on.

Then I stuck them to the wall and I hang his dress-up hats on it.

I found this dino-name plaque off of craigslist.. but amazon sells them too (mellissa and doug)

My dad made his toy shelf for xmas last year and it's AWESOME. I decorated it by sticking the wooden decorations (again hobby lobby) onto it with wood glue

I chose the things that he's really into to


These were pretty simple decorations too. My dad cut me 2 pieces of wood, both 1x2 feet. I painted them with his initials and glued those dinos on. Then I stuck ribbon on the back, tied the ribbon, and they hang above his bed.


The clock: I bought a clock from hobby lobby (and the hardware). I mod podged paper and stickers on it. Super simple. 


These decorations took me a night. I simply used construction paper and glue:


I've thought about framing them.. but I like the simpleness of them on the wall.
Finally... the last piece of art work. I bought canvases and painted this dino-puzzle. Took me a couple of hours. 
I'm trying to take a video of the room that will upload here.. but it's not working too well. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment